Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Sharing/Accountability

Okay, last post before I have to lock-in for sermon prep.
I want to know what everybody is studying, listening to, and reading.

Here are 3 reasons why I ask this:

1. For Accountability purposes.
I want to occasionaly prompt you to examine your time and progress in God's word. A young pastor shared with me recently the greatest advice I ever gave him. He said I told him years ago, "You're going to have to learn to love reading". I give you this same counsel.
Ref: I Tim. 4:13-16; I Peter 2:1-2; Mt. 4:4

2. For Sharing purposes.
I would like to know the books, messages, and passages you are reading that are challenging, encouraging, and ministering to you. I would like to make these messages, books, and links available to others that they may grow thereby.

3. For Joy purposes:
3rd John v. 4 "I have no great joy than to hear that my children walk in truth."
It will so fulfill my joy to hear from all of you about your progress in the faith!
I can't wait to hear all the wonderful things God is doing in the life of His Children and my Friends.

  • Here are the areas I am reading and studying right now?
Free Reading: The Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan (I am at Genesis 5, Ps. 9, Mt. 11, and Acts 8) I am reading thru these consecutively.
Books: Spiritual Depression by D. Martyn Lloyd Jones; Finally Alive by John Piper; The Gospel for Real Life by Jerry Bridges. *All are exceptional
Audio/Video: A Plethera of podcasts, on-line sermons, and DVD's. (Technology has greatly enhanced our ability to have the word of God piped in anywhere, anytime. Shame on us if we don't make ourselves available to it.)
Sermon series:
Sun. A.M. - The Gospel of Mark.
Sun.- Open Study
P.M.- The Book of Hebrews.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Personal study...Kind of a stop and lets see where you are with Me kinda deal this week;..Deut. 30:11-20 "Life or death?!!!" A few questions that arose, after listening to people, and meditation.."Literally, Do I looke at the Word of God as my Life?! Is it the utmost important Fact that I dwell on, and practice the most?! Deut. 30:20b "This is the Key to your Life.",,Other Scripture references Duet. 32:44-47/Matt. 4:4 (thought, Do I see the Word of God of great importance as I see physical food of great importance to my living and growing?)/ John 6:60-63/ you could go with John 15...Application,as well as a challenge that was given to me was Psalm 119....somthing to get this thing rolln.

Jason Johns said...

Sweetness! We are rolling now. Why don't you get in the word or something! I'm going to read Ps. 119 today just to refresh myself on the importance of God's Word spelled out in this chapter.