Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Family and Church update

Here’s what happening with the Johns family and FBC.


Currently I am sitting at Chloe’s gymnastic practice. She is trying to make the level 4 competition team this summer. She seems to be built for gymnastics and I think she has the tools. We’ll have to see how hard she’s willing to work. She loves gymnastics and is constantly doing cartwheels, walkovers, handstands, and other tricks around the house.

I am so proud of how Dawson and Chloe performed in school this year. Dawson made straight A’s this year and received the Principal’s award for having made straight A’s his entire time at LBES. Chloe also made straight A’s all year except for 1 B during the 1st 9 wks. We will chalk that up to the transition from 1st grade to 2nd grade. I give thanks to God for the way He has blessed them both physically and academically.

Dawson recently completed the Book of Revelation and challenged me to Bible Trivia on Revelation. You better not try him unless you’re pretty current on the Apocalypse!
He is now reading the Book of Acts and has made it thru chapter 9.
I regret to say that I am not currently leading Chloe. She typically has a girls devotional book that she works thru, but I have not been leading her to do that recently. I have been talking with her about the gospel for quite some time and focusing a lot on the centrality of God, His person, His law, and his grace. However, I need to be much more structured in my discipleship of her. Nancy and I will have her at home by herself for the next few days so I hope for some quality time to impress God's word upon her heart. 
Nancy is currently studying thru "A woman's walk with God" by Elizabeth George, and recently concluded a study by Priscilla Shirer “One in a million”

I am currently all over the place. I am reading portions of David Platt’s book “Radical”, “Praying Hyde”, “Too busy not too pray”, “The purpose of man” by A.W. Tozer, and others. I am preaching thru Hebrews, Mark, and I Timothy. I am going to take a brief break from I Timothy to preach on the Subject of Marriage, Divorce, and Remarriage. I want to cover this before I tackle the phrase, “the husband of one wife” in I Tim. 3. My goal is to post my studies from this subject on the blog. I am also moved to memorize as much of Ps 119 as possible in the near future. 

Nancy and I recently attended The Southern Baptist Annual Convention in Orlando and were very refreshed and renewed by the messages and the results of the Convention.

The Great Commission Resurgence Task Force brought forth 7 recommendations in the form of a motion that will revise and revitalize Southern Baptist’s commitment to fulfill The Great Commission and take the gospel to the nations. Hopefully more info. to come on this Historical vote. All the messages were great, but the messages from Steve Gaines, Tony Evans, Matt Chandler, CJ Mahaney, Russell Moore (Adoption), and Mac Brunson (convention sermon), specifically ministered to me. I have copies of each of these messages if you are interested in listening to or watching them.

On the church level, I am excited about evangelist Sujo John, a survivor of the 9/11 terrorist attack, being with us to share His testimony of survival and salvation.

He will be sharing his testimony of How God saved he and his wife from the 81st floor of the world trade center during the P.M. service and we will have refreshments and fireworks to follow.

Our youth choir is currently at SONPOWER with 800 other teenagers. Our teenagers, one the skit competition and will be performing on the final night. Go FBC!

VBS is right around the corner, Honduras Missions Trip in July and Student Ministry and College retreats.. Please be in prayer for the church to be edified and sanctified, sinners to be evangelized, and God to be glorified.



Final tidbits:

The Celtic’s really made me mad.

Georgia knocked Florida out of the Softball World Series

Florida lost their first game in the CWS (Go Bruins)

It’s taken Chad Rollins and I 3 days to paint one room.

Family Fun Nite was awesome. Wish more of the church would have come.

I need to lose 20 lbs. (Pray for me)

Bella is absolutely wonderful. I love that lil bucked tooth baby. Her Highness.

Brandon Saunders did a great job preaching for me 2 Sun. nights ago.

Can’t wait to baptize Kenny Johns and Cathy Willingham.

The Noles just knocked the Gators out of the CWS


Blessings Friends,

1 comment:

hamiltonsflame said...

Gymnastics practice sounds like a great place to blog. It is good to hear that the family is doing well, but I must say that I can't keep reading your blog if the hostility towards the Gators keeps up!

Love you bro