Monday, April 12, 2010

Prayer and the Gospel, Part 1

On Sunday nights we have been studying thru the Book of I Timothy and last night we came to Ch. 2:1-8.
I want to write about this message because I know the emphasis that Paul placed on the truth in this passage has not yet taken root in my spirit and will not bear fruit in my life unless I continue to cultivate it in my life.  I do not want to move forward this morning in another book or with another truth, but I want to grasp the heart of the Apostle as he communicates the priority of "Prayer and The Gospel"

1 Tim 2:1-7
Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men,2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time,7 for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle -- I am speaking the truth in Christ and not lying -- a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.
NKJV

Background and Context:  The Foundation for Paul's 1st letter to Timothy is found in chapter 3:15
1 Tim 3:14-16
These things I write to you, though I hope to come to you shortly;15 but if I am delayed, I write so that you may know how you ought to conduct yourself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.
NKJV
Paul has left Timothy to serve as an apostolic authority in the organization and oversight of the Church in Ephesus.  Timothy had serve with Paul for approx. 15 yrs. at this point and Paul felt there was no other disciple who shared his mind as did his true son in the faith, Timothy.

So, Paul is writing to instruct Timothy on the necessary conduct of the church of the living God who IS the pillar and ground of Truth.

The Brief Synopsis of Chapter 1 is Paul's comforting and charging Timothy as he stands for the Truth of the Gospel.  The heart of chapter 1 is connected to the theme that the church of the living God IS the pillar and ground of truth.  Paul's exhortation to Timothy is Stand for the truth, Stand against false teachers, stand always for The Gospel.  In v. 12-17 Paul pauses to praise God for the power of the Gospel in His own life.  (Why not do that sometime today yourself?) In v.18-20 Paul commissions Timothy again with a charge to wage a good warfare for the truth.  Holding on to "The Faith" and having a good conscience as it pertains to the truth. 
Note:  Before we transition into chapter 2 make sure you feel the heartbeat of Chapter 1.  The church is the Pillar and Ground of truth and our message is the GOSPEL.  Our Hope, our rejoicing, our glory, is in the Gospel!  Paul's passion is rooted in the fact that the hope of the nations is found in the Gospel of the Glory of God in Jesus Christ. 
Now read Chapter 2 in this context: 
1 Tim 2:1-5
Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men,2 for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior,4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

NKJV

Therefore:  refers back to what was said in v.18-20.  Paul is connecting the necessity of prayer as it relates to waging a war for the truth and the proclamation and progression of the Gospel. 

I exhort:  this is not a command that comes from from a king or a position of authority, rather Paul uses a word which means to plead.  Paul is coming along side of Timothy and pleading with him to pray, pray, pray, for all men, kings, all who are in authority...for the sake of the Gospel. 

first of all:  The Priority of prayer and the Gospel.  *This is where I have to stop and examine my heart and demonstrate repentance in my life. 
Paul pleads with Timothy that above all things you pray, pray, pray, for all men that they would be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. 

Illustration:  Notice how this truth is illustrated in the life of the Apostle Paul in Romans 9-10
Rom 9:1-4
I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit,2 that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart.3 For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh,4 who are Israelites,  NKJV
Rom 10:1 Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved NKJV

This is the account of Paul's passion in prayer for the Gospel and the Jews.  However, he not only had this passion for the Jews, but he also labored in prayer for the salvation of the Gentiles to whom he was called to be a minister of the Gospel. 

Application: 
Do we have this kind of passion for the salvation of all men? 
Does this passion express itself thru supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks for ALL men (seeing that God desires [Greek: thelo "a wish or desire that arises from one's emotions] all men to be saved and come to the knowlege of the truth)?
Is prayer and the Gospel to all men "first of all" in my life?

The answer I regret to say is an overwhelming no.  However, I do not plan to stay this way.  I have seen the error of my way and repentance is in my heart that I might be found a faithful minister of the Gospel beginning "first of all" with prayer for all men. 

Who will you be praying for today?  (I would love to hear your responses to this question)
Today, my heart is for the black and hispanic community in Lake Butler.  My hearts desire and prayer for them is that God would allow us to reach them with the Gospel of Jesus Christ and that they would become disciples of Christ thru FBC Lake Butler. 

I know this is but a small portion of Paul's exhortation, but this is my first step of repentance.
Please pray for me and with me as I seek to be obedient in this area. 

I want to leave you with a quote from The Puritan Pastor Richard Baxter as we focus on developing a desire to see all men saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. 

O, if you have the hearts of Christians, let them yearn toward your poor ignorant ungodly neighbors. Alas, there is but a step betwixt them and death and hell. Many hundred diseases are waiting ready to seize on them, and if they die unregenerate, they are lost forever. Have you hearts of rock that cannot pity men in such a case as this? If you believe not the Word of God and the danger of sinners, why are you Christians yourselves? If you do believe it, why do you not bestir yourself to the helping of others? Do you not care who is damned as long as you are saved? If so, you have sufficient cause to pity yourselves, for it is a frame of spirit utterly inconsistent with grace. Dost thou live close by them...or meet them in the streets...or labor with them...or travel with them...or sit and talk with them and say nothing to them of their souls or the life to come? If their houses were on fire, thou wouldst run and help them and wilt thou not help them when their souls are almost at the fire of hell?

2 comments:

Zeb said...

I've typed this and erased it too many times now. May it suffice to say.....the unbeliever, no matter who they are, is not generally in my prayers and I must, by the grace of God, repent.

I thank our great God that He opens our eyes to the depths of our sins, and is ever diligent in conforming us into the image of our Savior, the Lamb of God, King of kings and Lord of lords, our great Prophet, Priest, and King,...our blessed Jesus!

Randall said...

I say "Amen" to Pastor and Zeb. After examining my own heart in my prayers, my conclusion must be that " I do not care who is damned as long as I am saved".
Shamefully, I have went to the rescue of my neighbor when his house was on fire, but I have not been intentional with his soul!! I repent Lord Jesus! I pray the Holy Spirit would give me boldness with my closest neighbor to let him know how close his feet are to the fire!